A few weeks ago I thought I had found Canaan in a carton of vegan chocolate ice cream. I was only partially correct. I stumbled upon a recipe for chocolate ice cream in my Veganomicon book shortly thereafter. As luck would have it, I also noticed a new product in the Shnucks a few days later- Chocolate silken tofu by NaSoya. I thought then that asking for an ice cream maker for my birthday which is only a month away, would be a wonderful idea and a crafty way for me to experience the joy of homemade ice cream once again.
I mentioned this to my little sister in law while spending the day with my husband’s parents. Dona, his mother, went straight over to her walk in pantry, pulled out the exact ice cream maker i had just added to my Amazon wish-list, and handed it to me saying something about it not making enough ice cream for a family party which is when she would want homemade ice cream anyway. Let me just tell you for the record, that i have the most amazing mother in law in the history of the world. Just last week she made me vegan twice baked potatoes. She sought out vegan sour cream and butter just so that I could have a potato like everyone else at Sunday dinner where no one else is a vegan or even understands the point. (i live in the South. people think i am depriving myself like some sort of monk. they obviously have not seen my ice cream! oh, but they will....)
All that to say, the next day, i was off and running making chocolate ice cream in my spiffy new Cuisinart ice cream maker.

I based my recipe on a Veganomicon recipe for vanilla ice cream but made adjustments based on the products i was using.
I used most of the package of chocolate tofu (what i had not eaten with a spoon out of sheer excitement), 1 cup of coconut milk (mostly cream, keep reading for specifics*), 1/2 cup raw sugar (though i dont think it needed it. the sugar was in the recipe i was basing off of so i added it anyway), and 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla.
*In Veganomicon, you are instructed to put the coconut milk in the fridge overnight so that the cream will rise to the top and you can scoop it out. I used all the cream that had formed and a bit of the leftover coconut milk to get my 1 cup.*
I mixed the ingredients together until they were well blended, poured it all into my ice cream maker, and let that baby run for about 30 minutes. I doubt I will ever buy vegan ice cream ever again or cry about missing chocolate ice cream. I know it will do nothing for my girlish figure, but it’s summer and life without ice cream in Southern summer is hardly one worth living. And anyway, I will just burn it off at Bikram :)

No comments:
Post a Comment